If your career is not at a level where sponsorship deals and complex contract negotiations are interfering with your performance, then you may not want to make the financial investment of an agent’s services.
To help identify your needs, ask yourself the following questions – if you answer yes to all or most of them, then working with an agent may be a good choice:
- Could I use help negotiating my contract/salary with my current team (or am I looking for a new team)?
- Do off-court commitments (e.g. public appearances, travel, etc.) put demands on my time for training, practice, and developing my on-court performance?
- Do I have (or am I looking to gain) sponsorship agreements?
- Do I have an interest in additional sources of income related to my career (e.g. endorsements, speaking tours, etc.)?
- Is my career at a level where I need help managing all the details that come with making more money, having more opportunities, and being contacted for various off-court engagements?