As a player, you have certain responsibilities. The Golden Rule for all players is the principle of strict liability, which implies that:
- You take full responsibility. You must take responsibility for what you “ingest,” meaning what you eat and drink and anything that may enter your body. The essential rule is this: if it is in your body, you are responsible for it.
- You are responsible for knowing what substances and methods are on a prohibited list at all time.
In case of a positive doping control it will be your burden to prove how the prohibited substance entered your body. Therefore, you should always know what you eat, what supplements you use and what medication you take. In any case of doubt you should consult an expert (e.g. your team doctor) who may help you to clarify whether or not you can consume a certain product – but always remember, it is ultimately your responsibility to avoid taking prohibited substances.
The anti-doping world is often complex and hard to fully understand at times. It is key for you to know where to get the right information. Therefore, we aim to list some important and useful sources which may answer your day to day questions linked to anti-doping. Ask for advice if you feel that you don’t have all the information you need.
- The Player’s Guide to 2021 World Anti- Doping Code: This document aims to translate the legal language of the 2021 Code to a more comprehensive language with a special focus on the player’s responsibilities and rights
- Alpha - Player Learning Program about Health and Anti-Doping: Learn more about healthcare and anti-doping via WADA’s interactive learning platform and obtain an ALPHA certificate.
- National Anti-Doping Organisations: Do you have a question in relation to your national anti-doping program? Would you like to obtain information in your mother tongue? In this case we suggest that you visit your National Anti-Doping Organisation’s (“NADO”) website.
- WADA’s Anti-Doping Education and Learning Platform (ADEL): The World Anti-Doping Agency have developed several e-learning resources to support players. The following modules are available, and most are available in different languages.